Find the Best Things

Frostville Museum

Frostville Museum is a living history of 19th century Ohio, located in North Olmsted at the corner of Cedar Point and Lewis Roads in the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation. Our goal is to preserve the past and present for the future. 

The museum consists of six historic buildings maintained and run by the Olmsted Historical Society. These buildings include: Prechtel House (the only home original to this site), Jenkin's Cabin, Brigg's House, Carpenter House, Stearns Carriage House, and FrostvilleVillage Church.  The Gifford General Store, Strelau Events Barn, and Wensink Display Barn are also a part of the village.

Records from our archives show that the Olmsted Historical Society was founded in May of 1953. The society incorporated as a non-profit association in 1961. In 1968, the society's name was changed to the Olmsted Historical Society focusing on the history of the entire original township.

The name Frostville has historic significance in this part of the Western Reserve. 
Dr. Elias Carrington Frost settled on Kennedy Ridge road around 1819. In the early part of the 1800s, this region of Olmsted Township was called Frostville. He opened a post office on his farm in 1829. The postal station was named Frostville although it was within the township first called Lenox and later named Coe Ridge. The official name of the postal station was eventually changed to Olmsted. It seemed appropriate to reclaim this early name for the museum complex.

The Olmsted Historical Society, which manages Frostville Museum, has over 180 members, many of whom contribute time, labor and craftsmanship to the preservation of the grounds and facilities.  During planned events, many members dress in period attire giving the feel of the 1800s.

Frostville Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media


Select a Ohio town to find
the Best Things To Do and Places To Go around you